Churchwardens at the present time are

Mr Chris Bedwell and
Mr Stanley Harris.

Woolland Church History

There have been four churches in Woolland on or around the present site – the approximate dates being 1310, 1547, 1743 and the current church dated 1856. It was erected and paid for by the landowner Mr Montague Williams.

The church was designed by the architect Gilbert Scott, well known for his designs of many churches in England and Scotland and, notably, of the Albert Memorial and St Pancras Station in London. It is understood that Woolland was one of his favourite churches.

Materials from the 1743 church were used and faced with stone from Hazelbury Bryan; the quoins and dressings being partly Bath and partly Ham Hill stone. The Chancel is richly carved and ornamented with columns of Devon and Purbeck marble. The three windows in the apse are filled with sepia stained glass representing the Crucifixion, Resurrection and Ascension. The seats are of oak and the church is paved throughout with Minton’s encaustic tiles. The building was designed in the early decorated style.

During the building of the present church work was suspended for several weeks as a robin had built its nest to the right of the altar. In commemoration of this the stonemason has carved on top of one of the pillars, the mother bird on her nest with three open-mouthed fledglings.

Of its early history there is no record, either in Sarum or in Bristol, of a Rector or vicar being instituted, but in 1840 it was referred to as a Perpetual Curacy and since 1904 the licensing of Perpetual Curates or Incumbents have been recorded in the Sarum Registers.

The church can seat about one hundred people.

A considerable sum of twenty thousand (£20,000) pounds was spent on major repairs to the spire approximately twenty years ago and the building has recently been rewired.

There are currently seventeen parishioners on the Church Electoral Roll. The average attendance at the twice monthly services is eleven. This number increases at Festivals and Benefice Services.

In the churchyard is a large and ancient Yew tree thought to be over two thousand years old.




Community Web Kit provided free by BT